Friday, October 8, 2010

Missed the Boat

Hear it here.


If I had to express my current life situation in the form of a song it would be "Missed the Boat" by Modest Mouse. Why? Lots of reasons. But overall because life throws you "all the way to hell", or so it feels somedays, but "I know this of myself...we carried it all so well." That's it in a nutshell people. But here's my breakdown of it:

While we're on the subject
Could we change the subject now?
I was knocking on your ear's door but you were always out
Looking towards the future
We were begging for the past
Well we knew we had the good things
But those never seemed to last
Oh please just last


--Love the first two lines because these days the subject people want to talk to you about is who you're dating, what you are studying to become, etc. usually that just makes me want to leave the room. Can't we just talk about the weather? haha. Riiiight. Knocking on the door but you're always out. Story of my life. The good things really dont seem to last, how I wish they would.

Everyone's unhappy
Everyone's ashamed
Well we all just got caught looking
At somebody else's page
Well nothing ever went
Quite exactly as we planned
Our ideas held no water
But we used them like a dam

--NOTHING ever goes as planned in my life, my ideas NEVER hold water, BUT you best know that I use them like a dam.

Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell
Saying yes, this is a fine promotion
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell


--Despite life's trials & disappointments its always good to stay positive and laugh even if it's "all the way to hell"

Of course everyone goes crazy
Over such and such and such
We made ourselves a pillar
We just used it as a crutch
We were certainly uncertain
At least I'm pretty sure I am
Well we didn't need the water
But we just built that good Gosh dam


--Everyone's crazy about something at sometime. Sometimes we build pillars that get in the way it's best if you learn to turn them into a crutch and make the best of it. Yeah thats right, I used that pillar as a crutch! Certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am... such a perfect description of me when it comes to making decisions. haha. Sometimes life gives you things you don't need but you learn to build.

Oh, and I know this of myself
I assume as much for other people
Oh, and I know this of myself
We've listened more to life's end gong
Than the sound of life's sweet bliss


--Im not alone in having a day stuck in a funk where you think all you ever hear is life's end gong instead of life's sweet bliss. Enough said.

Was it ever worth it?
Was there all that much to gain?
Well we knew we missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane
We didn't read the invite
We just dance at our wake
All our favorites were playing
So we could shake, shake, shake, shake, shake


--I know I have moments where I wonder if its worth it, or what is there to even gain? I'm SURE I've missed the boat, and the plane, didnt read the invite, but who cares. I'm gonna dance it off, shake, shake, shake.

Tiny curtains open and we heard the tiny clap of little hands
A tiny man would tell a little joke and get a tiny laugh from all the folks
Sitting drifting around in bubbles and thinking it was us that carried them
When we finally got it figured out that we had truly missed the boat


--Madness. That's all. Just madness. How do you expect to know how to be sane without a little madness in your life? Someday you'll figure it out.

Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and we owned all the tools ourselves
But not the skills to make a shelf with
Oh, what useless tools ourselves

--When you figure it out, you're on a mission in a new position, owning it whether you have the skills or not. :) Fake it 'til you make it baby.



Anyways, its a good jam. Love it. Maybe now you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment